Wynches Camp 411 was still under construction at the time of Dunkirk in May 1940 which meant that the the units based in Much Hadham were under canvas at the village park with a mess hut in the village hall car park. Initially the camp was used as training/transit camp and later being used as pow camp firstly for Italians then from 1946 to 1948 Germans.
From the amount of identity tags from stalag camps being found, at some point between 1945 to 1946 there is influx into the camp of allied pows, this may also explain a vast amount of medicine bottles and buttons from battle dress uniforms.
We will be putting the latest news and information about Wynches Camp 411 in Much Hadham, Hertfordshire on this site.
We would love to hear from anyone who has any information about the camp to help us build up a picture of what it was like. If you want to get in touch please use the contact form, click on ‘Contact Dave‘ above.